You are here

Utility Assistance Programs

If you are interested in learning what utility assistance is available in your area,

contact 2-1-1 to get a list of organizations that offer utility assistance in your area.

Private and Municipal Utility Assistance Programs

State Sponsored Utility Assistance Programs


Private and Municipal Utility Assistance Programs


Utility providers throughout Texas offer various low-income utility assistance programs. For more information, find your utility company on the list below. If you know of any programs that are not listed below, please feel free to email



Atmos Energy

  • Sharing the Warmth: Customer donations combine with company donations to help people pay their gas bills. All donations go directly to local people in need that meet criteria established by each individual program's guidelines. Click here to find an energy assistance agency in your area.


Austin Energy

  • Low-Income Discount: The $6 service charge is waived for customers with persons living in the household who receive SSI, City of Austin Medical Assistance Program (MAP) or Aged, Blind and Disabled Medicaid. Eligible customers can also receive a 50% reduction on their residential City of Austin Drainage fee. Click here for more imformation or call 512-494-9400.
  • Energy Home Improvements: Provides attic insulation, sealing and/or repairing of ductwork,caulking of plumbing penetrations, door weatherstripping, solar screen installation for income-qualified customers. Click here for more infomation or call 512-974-7827. Para Español, 512- 972-9520.
  • Customer Assistance Program: The City of Austin sponsors the program to assist eligible customers who are having difficulty paying their utility bill. The program is funded through voluntary contributions from utility customers. Click here for more information. Several local social service agencies screen applications and determine eligibility. Contact social service agencies.


Central Texas Electric Cooperative, Inc.

  • Operation Round Up: Member donations provide funds for individuals with special needs, health and rescue organizations, food banks, educational projects, and child care programs. Applications from individuals, organizations and communities will be accepted by a voluntary board, which will review and approve applications for assistance based on demonstrated need and funds available. Click here for more information or email


Comanche Electric Cooperative

  • Operation Round Up: Donated funds may be used for funds may be used for community service projects, economic development, education and youth programs, crisis centers or individuals needing emergency assistance. Click here for more information. Application forms for groups and individuals are available at Comanche Electric Cooperative. 1-800-915-2533 or 325-356-2533.


Denton Municipal

  • P-L-U-S One Program: Customer contributions are forwarded to Interfaith Ministries, which disburses the funds to hardship-stricken families to help maintain their utility service. Click here for more information.


El Paso Electric

  • Low Income Rider: Eligible customers will not be billed the Residential Service Customer Charge. Eligibility: Food Stamp recipient. For more information call 915-543-5970 or email


Entergy Texas

  • Project Care: Funds provide short-term utility bill assistance to low-income elderly or disabled. For more information call 1-800-368-3749.
  • Beat The Heat: During May, thousands of fans are distributed to customers by numerous partner agencies such as Total Community Action, Salvation Army and various Councils on Aging and with the assistance of employee volunteers. For more information call 1-800-368-3749


New Braunfels Utilities

  • Utility Bill Assistance Program: Designed to aid persons in NBU’s service area to pay for their electric, water and wastewater bills. The Salvation Army of Comal County manages the program for NBU and is charged with accepting applications, determining qualifications and deciding how much assistance will be granted to each applicant. Customers interested in applying for assistance should contact the Salvation Army of Comal County directly at (830) 608-9129 for more information.

Reliant Energy

  • CARE: A community-based program designed to support Reliant Energy customers who are having difficulty making ends meet because of extreme hardship, such as loss of income, illness or death in the family. Customers looking for assistance can call 211 from anywhere in the state of Texas to locate the agencies with CARE funding. Click here for more information.
  • PowerHouse Program: Through the PowerHouse Program, Reliant Energy helps low-income and senior custormers understand energy conservation, billing statements, and provides energy efficient home repairs. Click here for more information.


Sam Houston Electric Cooperative

  • Helping Hands Program: Sam Houston Electric Cooperative's non-profit Helping Hands Program provides funding to help members in financial and/or physical distress pay their energy related bills. The Program is funded entirely by contributions from Sam Houston Electric Cooperative employees and members. Livingston 936-327-5711; Coldspring 936-653-5400; Woodville 409-283-8251. Click here for more information.


San Antonio Public Service

  • Residential Energy Assistance Partnership (REAP): A non-profit foundation that helps needy families pay their utility bills year-round, and educates them on money-saving conservation measures. The City of San Antonio Department of Community Initiatives (210-207-7830 ) and the Bexar County Housing and Human Services Department (210-335-6770) determine eligibility and provide program information.
  • Project WARM: Administered by the City of San Antonio (210-207-7830) and the Bexar County Housing and Human Services Department (210-335-6770), Project WARM also provides utility assistance to CPS customers. The program is funded by royalty interests from natural gas reserves donated by the Wagner & Brown Partnership of Midland, Texas. Recipients can only receive aid once a year from either REAP Inc. or Project WARM.


San Bernard Electric Cooperative

  • Operation Roundup: Member donations assist members in need with utility bill payments. These are most often elderly or disabled members on a fixed income or a member in a crisis situation. For more information call 409-865-3171 or toll-free at 1-800-364-3171.


South Plains Electric Cooperative

  • Operation Round-Up: Member donations are spent locally for: individuals - including victims of fire or medical tragedies and scholarships; communities - including youth programs, city and county projects and school projects and organizations - including Texas Boys Ranch, Women's Protective Services, YWCA, Hospice of Lubbock, Kiwanis, Volunteer Fire Departments and others. Click here for more information.

United Cooperative Services

  • Operation Roundup: Member donations help other members with heating and air-conditioning equipment repair, equipment for the handicapped, life support equipment, electric bills, medical bills, staple food items and prescription medicine. Click here for more information.

Information provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services



State Sponsored Low-Income Assistance Programs


Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) Programs


Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program: The CEAP is a utility assistance program designed to assist low-income households in meeting their immediate energy needs and to encourage consumers to control energy costs for years to come through energy education. This program allows low-income households to get financial assistance for their utility bills and learn how to decrease their future energy costs. The CEAP is administered through service providers throughout the state. To apply, you can contact the CEAP service provider nearest you or you can call (877) 399-8939.


Weatherization Assistance Program: The WAP is a utility assistance program designed to assist low-income household by providing energy-related improvements and education about energy conservation. Home repair specialists perform an energy audit and make necessary minor home repairs, including installing insulation and fixing or replacing doors and windows, to decrease both energy consumption and the electric bill. Like the CEAP, the WAP is administered through service providers throughout the state. To apply, you can contact the WAP service provider nearest you or you can call (888) 606-8889.